Angel's Crest, Acrophobes Traverse fixed

Check here for new routes information. Post new routes here.
Optimally-Primed

Angel's Crest, Acrophobes Traverse fixed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Sun May 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Some friends and I climbed Angel's Crest the other day, along with a drill... and finally fixed the rap off the Acrophobes Traverse. Someone had recently installed a chain off the existing 3/8" bolt. We removed the chain, but left both the original 1/4" bolt (for historic reasons) and the existing 3/8". The new anchor is one of the 2-bolt Fixe rap stations.

The hardest part was seconding with a heavy pack... good early-season work-out.

The new station! There's a second bolt over the edge, out of view.

We also fixed up the fixed rope downclimb on the second half of the Acrophobes. Fixed ropes wore over a sharp edge, cutting the rope. It was replaced every year or two... To make it all cleaner and more durable, we placed a bolt and attached a new fixed rope. Wear should hopefully no longer be an issue. We also pushed off that dead tree. Here's a photo of me lowering Jay down as he ties knots in the new fixed rope.

mocco
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by mocco » Mon May 11, 2009 6:34 am

Wow, great job guys! I'm sure many will clip into those anchors and wonder how in the hell the bolts got up there in the first place. Great job! For future reference, I'm always willing to come out for re/bolting parties. Carry heavy stuff. Swing hammers. Drink beverages. Etc.

Thanks again!

Sean

rockandsnowjunkie

Post by rockandsnowjunkie » Sun May 31, 2009 4:04 pm

Much appreciated gentlemen!!!

paulc

Post by paulc » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

Was up there on the weekend. Nice job indeed, was a great treat to see all the hard work you guys put in, making our trip nicer.

Cheers.

Paul